This page is currently being updated.
Please check back soon to find out more about what we are doing in this area….
What is entomology and why is it important?
Our key contributions and research in this area:
Our current projects in this area:
Black Fly Larvae
This project is being conducted by Ian Banks who is currently studying a PhD in Entomology and Sanitation at LSHTM. His research aims to discover how suited the larvae of the Black Soldier Fly (Hermetia illucens) are to consuming pit latrine content, and what effects they have on its physical, chemical and microbial properties.
His work developed from his MSc thesis, which showed how these larvae developed successfully on human faeces from vegetarian and omnivore diets, and how after feeding they reduced the mass and odour of the faeces significantly. Ian’s work will demonstrate whether these larvae are an effective means of extending pit latrine lifespan.
Watch this video to understand more about Ian’s work with AgriProtein and the Gates Foundation on this topic.
To read more about Ian’s project and see the results so far, have a look at this poster presentation.
Full list of publications related to entomology:
- Hiscox, A., Kaye, A., Vongphayloth, K., Banks, I., Piffer, M., Khammanithong, P., SANANIKHOM, P., KAUL, S., Hill, N., Lindsay, S. W. & Brey, P. T. 2013. Risk factors for the presence of Aedes aegypti and Aedes albopictus in domestic water-holding containers in areas impacted by the Nam Theun 2 hydroelectric project, Laos. Am J Trop Med Hyg, 88, 1070-8.
- Clasen, T., Boisson, S., Routray, P., Cumming, O., Jenkins, M., Ensink, J. H., Bell, M., Freeman, M., Peppin, S. & Schmidt, W.-P. 2012. The effect of improved rural sanitation on diarrhoea and helminth infection: design of a cluster-randomized trial in Orissa, India. Emerging Themes in Epidemiology, 9, 7.
- Ensink JHJ, Konradsen F, Cairncross S (2013) Sanitation and vector control. In: Cameron MM, Lorenz LM (2013) Biological and Environmental Control of Disease Vectors. WallingfordUK: CABI, Chapter 8, pp. 144-161.
- Teixeira MG, Barreto ML, Costa M, Ferreira LDA, Morato V, Vasconcelos PF, Cairncorss S (2011) Heterogeneity of risk factors of dengue virus infection in an urban setting. J Epidemiol & Community Health 65:A371-2.149. Teixeira MG, Barreto ML, Costa MCN, Ferreira LDA, Morato V, Vasconcelos P, CAIRNCROSS S 2007. Exposure to the risk of dengue virus infection in an urban setting: ecological versus individual heterogeneity, Dengue Bulletin 31: 36-46.
- Teixeira M.G., Barreto M.L., Costa M.C., Ferreira L.D.A., Vasconcelos P.F.C., CAIRNCROSS S. 2002 Dynamics of dengue virus circulation; a silent epidemic in a complex urban area. Tropical Medicine & International Health 7 (8): 757-762.
- Cairncross, S., Rajavel, A.R., Vanamail, P., Subramaniam, S., Paily K.P., Ramaiah, K.D., Amalraj, D., Mariappan, T. and Srinivasan, R. 1988. Engineering, mosquitoes and filariasis: a case report. Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 91: 101‑106.